All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe challenge this book addresses is to demonstrate how, in teaching content kwledge, the development of intellectual and moral dispositions as virtues is t merely a good idea, or peripheral to that content, but deeply embedded in the logic of searching for kwledge and truth. It offers a powerful example of how philosophy of education can be brought to bear on real problems of educational research and practice - pointing the reader to re-envision what it means to educate children (and how we might prepare teachers to take on such a role) by developing the person, instead of simply kwledge and skills. Connected intimately to the practice of teaching and teacher education, the book sets forth an alternative theory of education where the developing person is at the center of education set in a moral space and a political order. To this end, a framework of public and personal kwledge forms the content, to which personal dispositions are integral, t peripheral. The book's pedagogy is invitational, welcoming its readers as companions in inquiry and thought about the moral aspects of what we teach as kwledge.
- Author BiographyHugh Sockett is Professor of Education, Department of Public and International Affairs, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, George Mason University.
- Author(s)Hugh Sockett
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white tables
- Weight362 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.