All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKohut's Twinship Across Cultures: The Psychology of Being Human chronicles a 10-year-voyage in which the authors struggled, initially independently, to make sense of Kohut's intentions when he radically re-defined the twinship experience to one of being human among other human beings . Commencing with an exploration of Kohut's work on twinship and an illustration of the value of what he left for elaboration, Togashi and Kottler proceed to introduce a new and very different sensitivity to understanding particular psychoanalytic relational processes and ideas about human existential anguish, trauma, and the meaning of life. Together they tackle the twinship concept, which has often been misunderstood and about which little has been written. Uniquely, the book expands and elaborates upon Kohut's final definition, being human among other human beings. It problematizes this apparently simple concept with a wide range of clinical material, demonstrating the complexity of the statement and the intricacies involved in recognizing and working with traumatized patients who have never experienced this feeling. It asks how a sense of being human, as opposed to being described as human, can be generated and how this might help clinicians to better understand and work with trauma. Written for psychoanalysts and psychoanalytic psychotherapists interested in self-psychological, intersubjective, and relational theories, Twinship Across Cultures will also be invaluable to clinicians working in the broader areas of psychoanalysis, psychotherapy, social work, psychiatry and education. It will enrich their sensitivity and capacity to understand and treat traumatized patients and the alienation they feel among other human beings.
- Author BiographyKoichi Togashi, Ph.D., L.P. is a Professor at Konan University, Kobe, Japan, and a Faculty and Training and Supervising Analyst at TRISP, New York, USA. He works in private practice in Kobe and Hiroshima, Japan. Amanda Kottler, M.A. (Clinical Psychology) was a Senior Lecturer at the University of Cape Town for a number of years. She works in private practice in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Author(s)Amanda Kottler,Koichi Togashi
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/09/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePsychoanalytic Inquiry Book Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.