All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith this outrageous new vel, China Mieville has written one of the strangest, funniest, and flat-out scariest books you will read this or any other year. The London that comes to life in Kraken is a weird metropolis awash in secret currents of myth and magic, where criminals, police, cultists, and wizards are locked in a war to bring about or prevent the End of All Things. In the Darwin Centre at London s Natural History Museum, Billy Harrow, a cephalopod specialist, is conducting a tour whose climax is meant to be the Centre s prize specimen of a rare Architeuthis duxbetter kwn as the Giant Squid. But Billy s tour takes an unexpected turn when the squid suddenly and impossibly vanishes into thin air. As Billy soon discovers, this is the precipitating act in a struggle to the death between mysterious but powerful forces in a London whose existence he has been blissfully igrant of until w, a city whose denizens human and otherwise are adept in magic and murder. There is the Congregation of God Kraken, a sect of squid worshippers whose roots go back to the dawn of humanity and beyond. There is the criminal mastermind kwn as the Tattoo, a merciless maniac inked onto the flesh of a hapless victim. There is the FSRC the Fundamentalist and Sect-Related Crime Unit a branch of London s finest that fights sorcery with sorcery. There is Wati, a spirit from ancient Egypt who leads a ragtag union of magical familiars. There are the Londonmancers, who read the future in the city s entrails. There is Grisamentum, London s greatest wizard, whose shadow lingers long after his death. And then there is Goss and Subby, an ageless old man and a cretius boy who, together, constitute a terrifying yet darkly charismatic demonic duo. All of them and others are in pursuit of Billy, who inadvertently holds the key to the missing squid, an embryonic god whose powers, properly harnessed, can destroy all that is, was, and ever shall be. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyChina Mieville is the author of King Rat; Perdido Street Station, winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award and the British Fantasy Award; The Scar, winner of the Locus Award and the British Fantasy Award; Iron Council, winner of the Locus Award and the Arthur C. Clarke Award; Looking for Jake, a collection of short stories; and Un Lun Dun, his New York Times bestselling book for younger readers. He lives and works in London. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)China Mieville
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight544 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.13Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.