All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI have never compromised in what I have done with what I think, what surrounds me. That's why my films cant be taken out of the archives. Krzysztof Kies?lowski's untimely death came at the height of his career, after his Three Colors trilogy of films garnered international acclaim (and an Oscar mination), and he had been proclaimed Europe's most important filmmaker by many critics. Born in 1941, he was only fifty-four years old when he died. Kies?lowski himself tried to tell the story of his life and career in the 1993 book Kies?lowski on Kies?lowski. This collection, by contrast, reveals the shifting voice of a filmmaker who was initially optimistic about his social and cultural role, then felt himself buffeted by the turbulent politics and events of the People's Republic of Poland. As described in the chrology in this book, he found himself subject to the ecomic censorship of post-Communist filmmaking. How Kies?lowski responded at each moment of his life, what he tried to achieve with each of his films, is finely detailed in thirty-five selections. These pieces bring together his thesis from the famous ?o?dz? film school, a manifesto written just before the dark days of martial law in Poland, diary entries from the first time he was working outside Poland, and numerous rare interviews from Polish-, French-, and English-language sources.
- Author BiographyRenata Bernard, Sydney, Australia, is the coeditor of Diasporas of Australian Cinema and has published in Kinokultura and Senses of Cinema. Steven Woodward, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, is professor at Bishop's University in Quebec, where he teaches courses on film, media, and popular culture. He is the editor of After Kies?lowski: The Legacy of Krzysztof Kies?lowski.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/12/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleConversations with Filmmakers Series
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content NoteFilmography
- Weight576 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRenata Bernard,Steven Woodward
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.