All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThomas S. Kuhn s The Structure of Scientific Revolutions was a watershed event when it was published in 1962, upending the previous understanding of science as a slow, logical accumulation of facts and introducing, with the concept of the paradigm shift, social and psychological considerations into the heart of the scientific process. More than fifty years after its publication, Kuhn s work continues to influence thinkers in a wide range of fields, including scientists, historians, and sociologists. It is clear that The Structure of Scientific Revolutions itself marks less of a paradigm shift than those it describes. In Kuhn s Structure of Scientific Revolutions at Fifty, leading social scientists and philosophers explore the origins of Kuhn s masterwork and its legacy fifty years on. These essays exhume important historical context for Kuhn s work, critically analyzing its foundations in twentieth-century science, politics, and Kuhn s own intellectual biography: his experiences as a physics graduate student, his close relationship with psychologists before and after the publication of Structure, and the Cold War framework of terms such as world view and paradigm.
- Author BiographyRobert J. Richardsis the Morris Fishbein Distinguished Service Professor of the History of Science and Medicine; professor in the Departments of History, Philosophy, and Psychology and in the Committee on Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science; and director of the Fishbein Center for the History of Science and Medicine, all at the University of Chicago. Lorraine Dastonis director of the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin and is visiting professor in the Committee on Social Thought at the University of Chicago.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication08/04/2016
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byLorraine Daston,Robert J. Richards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $20.09Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.