L.M.Montgomery and Canadian Culture by University of Toronto Press (Hardback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.78Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the ermous popularity of her books, particularly Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery's role in the development of Canada's national culture is t often discussed by literary historians. This is curious as some of Canada's leading writers, including Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, and Jane Urquhart, have ackwledged their indebtedness to Montgomery's fiction. That scholars have t mined the 'Canadianness' of Montgomery's writing is redressed by this collection. It is the first systematic effort to investigate and explore Montgomery's active engagement with Canadian nationalism and identity, including regionalism, can formation, and Canadian-American cultural relations. It examines her work in relation to the many dramatic changes of her day, such as the women's movement and the advent of new techlogies; and it looks at the national and international consumption of Anne of Green Gables, in the form of both 'high' culture and cultural tourism. The wide range of contributors represent views from across disciplines and boundaries, including feminist, biographical, psychoanalytical, historical, and cultural approaches. The scholarly reflections are punctuated to great effect by creative pieces, personal reflections, and interviews. This ground-breaking collection will appeal to all fans of Montgomery's work and to students of Canadian letters. It places Montgomery and her work squarely in the mainstream of Canadian literary history, affirming her importance to our country's cultural development.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Rollins Epperly is Professor Emerita of English at the University of Prince Edward Island. She is a past president of UPEI and the founder of its L.M. Montgomery Institute. Irene Gammel is a professor and Canada Research Chair in Modern Literature and Culture in the Department of English at Ryerson University.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication01/05/1999
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight538 g
- Width160 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Rollins Epperly,Irene Gammel
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.