All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWas La Comtesse de Segur a sadist, as many critics have suggested? True, there are as many whips in her vels as in a torture chamber. The pages are filled with illustrations befitting of sado-masochistic fantasies: cruel parents and guardians flagellating half-naked children. This in-depth study is a defense of this misunderstood and misrepresented nineteenth-century French author. It explores specific accusations of sadism against Segur and reinterprets the violent scenes in her vels against the backdrop of these accusations.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Lisette Luton is Assistant Professor of French at Charleston Southern University. She received her Ph.D. in French from the University of Virginia. She has been a member of the Children's Literature Association since 1991 and has presented papers on Segur at its annual conferences.
- Author(s)Lisette Luton
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/1999
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCurrents in Comparative Romance Languages & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number83
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight310 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.