All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his latest book, Greil Marcus, arguably the most influential music critic of all time, offers his most impassioned and intense essay yet. Steering clear of official history encyclopedia entries, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions, classic success stories Marcus brings to the forefront 10 essential songs that, for their influence and how they have resonated throughout the decades, have surpassed a milestone of pop music. This book includes brief biographies of the songs' writers and performers and captures the essence of each pop entry everlasting yet at the same time fleeting. Marcus's particular history of rock includes Shake Some Action by the Flamin Groovies; Transmission by Joy Division; In the Still of the Nite by Fred Parris and the Five Satins, later recorded by the Slades; All I Could Do Was Cry by Etta James and, decades later, sund by Beyonce; Crying, Waiting, Hoping by Buddy Holly; Money (That s What I Want) by Barrett Strong, reinvented by the Beatles; Money Changes Everything by the Brains, years later redone by Cyndi Lauper; This Magic Moment, written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman and immortalized by Ben E. King and the Drifters; the experimental Guitar Drag by Christian Marclay; and To Kw Him Is to Love Him by Phil Spector, which Amy Winehouse made her own nearly 50 years later. With his vibrant and beatnik-style spontaneous prose, Marcus gives a new music history lesson that demonstrates why pop music holds such great significance in our culture.
- Author BiographyGreil Marcus is a writer, a music journalist, and a cultural critic whose work has been featured in publications such as Esquire, Interview, and the New York Times and on Salon.com. He is the author of Bob Dylan by Greil Marcus, The Doors: A Lifetime of Listening to Five Mean Years, Like a Rolling Stone: Bob Dylan at the Crossroads, and Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock 'n' Roll Music. He lives in Berkeley, California.
- Author(s)Contributor Greil Marcus
- Date of Publication01/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight386 g
- Width147 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.