All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Wisconsin Historical Society Press has republished a long-out-of-print classic of Wisconsin history, La Pointe: Village Outpost, by Hamilton Nelson Ross (1889-1957). The book, which first appeared in 1960, provides a 300-year history of La Pointe, a community on Madeline Island, one of Lake Superior's Apostle Islands.With flair, humor, and solid scholarship, Ross tells the story of the region's evolution. Madeline Island served initially as a refuge for the local Ojibway from their enemy the Sioux before the arrival of French explorers in 1659, then an epicenter of the fur-trade era in the eighteenth century, and finally a summer vacation spot for businessmen and industrialists. Today the island attracts thousands of summer tourists who vastly outnumber the 200 or so year-round residents.Ross first visited Madeline Island from his native Beloit as an eight-year-old, returning again and again over his lifetime to the Ross family cabin in La Pointe. His years of careful study and observation served him well. Ross told the region's story so eloquently that his book helped persuade Congress and the President in 1970 to preserve the islands in perpetuity as the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Author BiographyHamilton Nelson Ross, a native of Beloit, became acquainted with the village of La Pointe in 1894 when he first visited Madeline Island as a boy. In the years that followed, he explored the Apostles, his curiosity piqued by stories he heard about the history of the region, and began his lifelong search for the historical truth that lay behind folklore and legend. Better than anyone before or since, he came to know the islanders and their lives intimately.
- Author(s)Hamilton Nelson Ross
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2000
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Content Note36 b&w photographs, maps, glossary
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Foreword byThomas Vennum Jr
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.