All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen two categories merge and a new syntactic object is formed, what determines which of the two merged categories transmits its properties one level up -- or, in current termilogy, which of the two initial categories labels the new object? In (Re)labeling, Carlo Cecchetto and Caterina Donati take this question as the starting point of an investigation that sheds light on longstanding puzzles in the theory of syntax in the generative tradition. They put forward a simple idea: that words are special because they can provide a label for free when they merge with some other category. Crucially, this happens even when a word merges with ather category as a result of syntactic movement. This means that a word has a relabeling power in that the structure resulting from its movement can have a different label from the one that the structure previously had. Cecchetto and Donati argue that relabeling cases triggered by the movement of a word are pervasive in the syntax of natural languages and that their identification sheds light on such phemena as relativization, explaining for free why relatives clauses have a minal distribution, successive cyclicity, island effects, root phemena, and Minimality effects.
- Author BiographyCarlo Cecchetto is Professor of Linguistics at the University of Milan-Bicocca. Caterina Donati is Professor of Syntax at the University of Paris 7.
- Author(s)Carlo Cecchetto,Caterina Donati
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/03/2015
- Series TitleLinguistic Inquiry Monographs
- Series Part/Volume Number70
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note2 b&w illus.
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.