Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.65
About this product
- DescriptionMary Elizabeth Braddon's shocking and suspenseful vel Lady Audley's Secret was one of the most popular examples of the sensation fiction craze of the 1860s. Within a year of the vel appearing in book form, less than three theatrical adaptations appeared on the London stage. Braddon took strong issue with two of these, but she approved of the adaptation by Robert Walters (writing under the pseudonym George Roberts ); this edition presents that version, which enjoyed a two season run at the Royal St. James Theatre. Entertaining in itself, the play also provides a fascinating example of how the suspense and the powerful characterisations of sensation fiction were heightened still further for the stage. Together with the antated text of the play itself, this edition includes an introduction addressing the life and work of Mary Elizabeth Braddon and placing Lady Audley's Secret: A Drama in Two Acts in the context of the sensation fiction phemen. Appendices include a substantial selection of reviews of Lady Audley's Secret --of the vel as well as of its dramatic adaptations--as well as a selection from the vel for comparison with the play.
- Author BiographyContributing Editor Yevgeniya Traps is Associate Lecturer in English at Barnard College.
- Author(s)George Roberts,Mary Elizabeth Braddon
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight189 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Edited byYeveniya Traps
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.