All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPosterity remembers Lady Godiva for her naked horseback ride through the city of Coventry, but that is only part of her story. This book investigates who Lady Godiva really was and traces the evolution of the Godiva legend from its first appearance in the thirteenth century through to the present day. Two recurring themes to emerge from the many retellings and reinterpretations of the legend are voyeurism and medievalism - the projection of contemporary desires back onto the Middle Ages. These form touchstones for discussion in each chapter. The book proceeds in chrological order, each chapter exploring an aspect of the legend which carried special significance for the period in question.By combining history, literature, art and folklore, this book makes a memorable contribution to our understanding of cultural history, medievalism and the history of sexuality.
- Author BiographyDaniel G. Donoghue is Professor of English at Harvard University. He is the author of Style in Old English Poetry (1987) and co-editor with Seamus Heaney of Beowulf: A Verse Translation (2002). He is also the author of the chapter on Lady Godiva in Literary Appropriations of the Anglo-Saxons from the Thirteenth to the Twentieth Century (2000).
- Author(s)Daniel Donoghue
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication05/12/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note11
- Weight386 g
- Width168 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.