All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPurchase of this book includes free trial access to www.million-books.com where you can read more than a million books for free. This is an OCR edition with typos. Excerpt from book: from my own daughter. The long illness of her dear father prevented my paying her that attention which duty and affection equally dictated, and I have too much reason to fear that the governess to whose care I consigned her was unequal to the charge. I have therefore resolved on placing her at one of the best private schools in town, where I shall have an opportunity of leaving her myself in my way to you. I am determined, you see, t to he denied admittance at Churchhill. It would indeed give me most painful sensations to kw that it were t in your power to receive me. Your most obliged and affectionate sister, S. Vern. Lady Susan Vern to Mrs. Johnson. Langford. You were mistaken, my dear Alicia, in supposing me fixed at this place for the rest of the winter: it grieves me to say how greatly you were mistaken, for I have seldom spent three months more agreeably than those which have just flown away. At present, thing goes smoothly; the females of the family are united against me. You foretold how it would be when I first came to Langford, and Mainwaring is so uncommonly pleasing that I was t without apprehensions for myself. I remember saying to myself, as I drove to the house, I like this man, pray Heaven harm come of it! But I was determined to be discreet, to bear in mind my being only four months a widow, andto be as quiet as possible: and I have been so, my dear creature; I have admitted one's attentions but Mainwaring's. T have avoided all general flirtation whatever; I have distinguished creature besides, of all the numbers resorting hither, except Sir James Martin, on whom I bestowed a little tice, in order to detach him from Miss Mainwaring; but if the world could kw my motive there they would hor me. I have been called an unkind...
- Author(s)Jane Austen
- PublisherKessinger Publishing
- Date of Publication10/09/2010
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKessinger Publishing
- Weight331 g
- Width254 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.