All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten with fell walkers and other countryside enthusiasts in mind this thoroughly engaging and absorbing book shows that there is much more to the Lake District than simply 'stanes and watter'. Have you ever wondered why Scafell is different from Skiddaw, or why the east side of Helvellyn is different from the west side, or why Ullswater is different from Windermere, or why the summit of Helm Crag is, well, a bit craggy? If so, this book will provide some answers, together with a deeper understanding of how the fell country acquired its special characteristics. The physical landscape of the Lake District acts like a giant magnet, attracting several million visitors every year to the fell country. From John Constable to Alfred Wainwright, via William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter, the Lake District has inspired visitors and residents alike. Although often romanticised in words and pictures as static and enduring, the mountains of the Lake District are dynamic elements of nature undergoing constant change. Media interest in climate change, storms, floods and landslides has done much to increase the public's perception of a 'dynamic' rather than a 'static' physical landscape. For those who think they kw all there is to kw about the mountains of the Lake District this book provides details of a different facet that is accessible to all who take the time 'to stand and stare'
- Author BiographyPeter Wilson is Reader in Quaternary Science at the University of Ulster. He was born at Nelson, Lancashire, and gained degrees in Geography at the University of Salford. His research into mountain landforms has been conducted in the Lake District, northwest Ireland, the Falkland Islands and Norway. He goes hill-walking, running, cycling and ski-touring (although not simultaneously) as frequently as possible.
- Author(s)Peter Wilson
- PublisherCarnegie Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2010
- Place of PublicationLancaster
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintScotforth Books
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Width195 mm
- Height272 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.