Sponsored by eBay Stores
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionJust as Henry David Thoreau 'traveled a great deal in Concord', Nobel Prize-winning physicist Steven Weinberg sees much of the world from the window of his study overlooking Lake Austin. In Lake Views Weinberg, considered by many to be the preeminent theoretical physicist alive today, continues the wide-ranging reflections that have also earned him a reputation as, in the words of New York Times reporter James Glanz, 'a powerful writer of prose that can illuminate - and sting'. This collection presents Weinberg's views on topics ranging from problems of cosmology to assorted world issues - military, political, and religious. Even as he moves beyond the bounds of science, each essay reflects his experience as a theoretical physicist. And as in the celebrated Facing Up , the essays express a viewpoint that is rationalist, reductionist, realist, and secular. A new introduction precedes each essay, explaining how it came to be written and bringing it up to date where necessary. As an essayist, Weinberg insists on seeing things as they are, without despair and with good humor. Sure to provoke his readers - postmodern cultural critics, enthusiasts for manned space flight or missile defense, ecomic conservatives, sociologists of science, anti-Zionists, and religious zealots - this book netheless offers the pleasure of a sustained encounter with one of the most interesting scientific minds of our time.
- Author BiographySteven Weinberg is Josey Regental Professor of Science and a member of the physics and astronomy departments at the University of Texas, Austin, and is the author of many books. He won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1979 and the National Medal of Science in 1991.
- Author(s)Steven Weinberg
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication12/01/2010
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Out-of-print date30/04/2014
- Weight522 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.