All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe twelve essays in this volume deal with major achievements in German short prose published between 1810 and 1978. Most of the texts studied are Novellen, and there is a concentration on the first half of the nineteenth century, the period in which this form flourished in Germany. The works covered range from Goethe's Novelle, a title straining for exemplary status, to Walser's Ein fliehendes Pferd, the best example of Novelle form in the late twentieth century, as important for its social and psychological commentary as for its subtle characterisation and skilful arrangement of motifs, features in which the Novelle has tended to excel. The earliest landmark is seen as Kleist's strange 'chronicle' Michael Kohlhaas, which showed German writers a completely new way of telling a story, and this is followed by essays on works which all attempted something new in the history of short fiction. Authors dealt with include Eichendorff, Heine, Buechner, Grillparzer, Droste-Huelshoff, Keller, Hauptmann, Thomas Mann, and Kafka. These essays, all by specialists in the relevant field, were originally delivered as lectures in the University of Cambridge.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Peter Hutchinson is Reader in German in the University of Cambridge and Director of Studies in Modern Languages at Trinity Hall. He has published widely on German literature and has edited a number of texts and collections of essays.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/02/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 33
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight320 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byPeter Hutchinson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.