All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a new critical methodology for the study of landscapes in children's literature. Treating landscape as the integration of unchanging and irreducible physical elements, or topoi, Carroll identifies and analyses four kinds of space - sacred spaces, green spaces, roadways, and lapsed spaces - that are the component elements of the physical environments of canical British children's fantasy. Using Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence as the test-case for this methodology, the book traces the development of the physical features and symbolic functions of landscape topoi from their earliest inception in medieval vernacular texts through to contemporary children's literature. The identification and analysis of landscape topoi synthesizes recent theories about interstitial space together with earlier morphological and topoanalytical studies, enabling the study of fictional landscapes in terms of their physical characteristics as well as in terms of their relationship with contemporary texts and historical precedents. Ultimately, by providing topoanalytical studies of other children's texts, Carroll proposes topoanalysis as a rich critical method for the study and understanding of children's literature and indicates how the findings of this approach may be expanded upon. In offering both transferable methodologies and detailed case-studies, this book outlines a new approach to literary landscapes as geographical places within socio-historical contexts.
- Author BiographyJane Suzanne Carroll lectures in English Literature at the University of Roehampton, UK. Her research interests include landscape, children's literature, picture books, and material culture in literature. She has published articles on Susan Cooper, J.R.R Tolkien, children's ghost stories, and children's fantasy.
- Author(s)Jane Suzanne Carroll
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/05/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note20 black & white halftones
- Weight362 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.53
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.