Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe outermost layer of the Earth consists of different materials, comprising rock, soil, organic matter, and other earth materials that together are called regolith. This regolith forms by the breakdown of solid bedrock, through processes of chemical, biological, and mechanical weathering. In rare and dramatic instances, large sections of regolith and even bedrock may suddenly collapse and race downhill, in what is kwn as a landslide. Landslides examines the physical characteristics of the regolith, as well as the consequences when regolith moves - either slowly or more suddenly in landslides and avalanches. This comprehensive resource also examines the formation of soil from regolith and underlying bedrock and discusses some of the hazardous elements that are concentrated in soils. With black-and-white photographs, a glossary, tables, and further reading, this helpful reference is an essential tool for middle and high school students.Chapters include: Weathering and the Formation of Soils; Hezardous Elements in Soils and the Regolith; Water in the Regolith - Expansive Clays, Liquifaction, and Groundwater Pollution; Mass Wasting Processes; Undersea Landslides; Landslide Disasters; and, Reduction of Landslide Hazards and Damages.
- Author BiographyTimothy Kusky, Ph.D., is currently assistant professor at St. Louis University in the department of Earth and atmospheric sciences.
- Author(s)Timothy Kusky
- PublisherFacts On File Inc
- Date of Publication15/06/2008
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Social Sciences
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFacts On File Inc
- Content Noteblack-&-white photographs & line illustrations, index, glossary, sidebars, further reading, web sites, tables
- Weight454 g
- Width191 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.