All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDennis Roy Craig (1929 u 2004) was one of the most outstanding Caribbean linguists of the 20th century. The Society of Caribbean Linguistics houred him in 2000 for what was described as oan academic career at once awesome and inspiring,o for his devotion to Creole linguistics and his tremendous contribution to language education in the Caribbean. He was t only an outstanding figure in educational leadership in the region, which includes his service as Vice Chancellor of the University of Guyana (1991-1995), he was also a poet. In 1998 he won the Guyana Prize for Literature for the Best First Book of Poetry. However, it is with his contribution as a linguist, particularly to language education in the Commonwealth Caribbean with which this book is concerned, and to that end, eight of his most representative articles have been chosen to demonstrate DennisAEs understanding of the language situation in the English-official Caribbean and the breadth of his vision in relation to the spheres of language teaching and language learning in the English-based Creole-speaking societies. Although most of these articles were written between the 1970s and the 1990s, the problems and issues that they treat are what we continue to face in the 21st century. This is testimony to DennisAEs amazing grasp of the nature of the factors involved in the teaching and learning of language in Creole-speaking communities. This book should prove very useful t only to language teachers, but also to creolists as well as to practitioners and researchers in the field of Caribbean language education.
- Author BiographyProfessor Zellynne Jennings is a former Director of the School of Education and Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Education at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus. She holds a Master of Arts in Classics (Univ. Leeds) ,a Masters in Education (Curriculum Development/ Educational Philosophy)(Univ. Birmingham) and a PhD in education (UWI). She has over 50 publications in peer reviewed academic journals and has written over 40 evaluation and policy reports from consultancies undertaken with Ministries of Education in the Caribbean as well as for International Organisations. She is a member of the Council of the United Nations University. An educator of many yearsAE experience, Jeannette Allsopp is now the retired Senior Research Fellow in Lexicography, former Director of the Centre for Caribbean Lexicography, and Lecturer in Linguistics at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus in Barbados. She holds a BA Honours degree in Spanish with French, an MA in Romance Languages and a Diploma in Education from London University, as well as a PhD in Linguistics from London Metropolitan University. She is also the recipient of the 1991 EURALEX (European Association for Lexicography) Verbatim Award in Lexicography, as well as a Fulbright Research Fellow. President of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics (2010-2012), she is now its Immediate Past President. She is also the Consultant in Caribbean English to the Third Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary . With about 60 publications to her credit, including the French-Spanish Supplement to the Dictionary of Caribbean English Usage by Richard Allsopp and the first Caribbean Multilingual Dictionary of Flora, Fauna and Foods (2003), her research interests include Caribbean lexicography, Creole linguistics, language acquisition, language teaching methodology, and Caribbean literature in English, French and Spanish. Her latest publication is Language, Culture and Caribbean Identity , UWIP and CCL (2012) which she edited with Professor John R. Rickford of Stanford University.
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byJeannette Allsopp,Zellynne Jennings
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $22.08Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.