All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage Acquisition and Language Socialization brings together well-kwn scholars in two relatively distinct fields - language acquisition and language socialization - and from a variety of orientations within applied linguistics (psycholinguistics, socioloinguistics, anthropological linguistics, educational linguistics) to describe language development from a relational perspective. The tion of ecology offer a convenient metaphor for the complex variational processes that take place within individuals, and between individuals and their social and cultural environment, as they attempt to learn the language of the Other. The chapters are a response to the three main questions discussed inthe Introduction: What conceptual models best capture the ecological nature of language learning? What research approaches are most likely to illuminate the relationship between language and social structure? How is educational success defined for language acquisition and language socialization? For researchers, the main strength of the book will be its empirical and phemelogical base, and the variety of methods used.The theme of ecology affords a fresh look in to phemena t encompassed by the language acquisition or languge socialization research alone. It puts in to question traditional ways of looking at time, space, subjectivity and identity in the acquisition of ather langauge and its use in a variety of social contexts. For language teachers and educators, this book avoids the traditional dichotomies such as language acquisition vs. language use, and captures the complex and holistic nature of language learning and teaching. Claire Kramsch is Professor of German and Foreign Language Acquisition, University of California, Berkeley.
- Author BiographyClaire Kramsch is Professor of German and Foreign Language Acquisition at the University of California, Berkeley.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication12/12/2002
- Series TitleAdvances in Applied Linguistics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight510 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byClaire J. Kramsch
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.