All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage Socialization in Bilingual and Multilingual Societies is a multidisciplinary, multinational collection of essays that explore language socialization from very early childhood through adulthood, t only in oftenstudied communities in Canada and the United States, but also in Australia, Bolivia, Egypt, India and Slovakia. The global perspective gained by the inclusion of studies of communities representing every inhabited continent provides readers with an indication of the richness of the field as well as a guide for future work. The book includes chapters focusing on language socialization at different stages of the lifespan - at home and in schools, communities and workplaces. Authors focus on well-kwn communities, such as Mexican-Americans in the United States and Francophones in Canada, as well as on communities that are less familiar to many readers, such as the Aymara in Bolivia, the Inuit in rthern Quebec and mirity Hungarians in Slovakia. The breadth and theoretical sophistication of this volume make it a suitable text for upper-division and graduate courses in bilingualism, language education and sociolinguistics.
- Author BiographyRobert Bayley is Professor of Bicultural-Bilingual Studies at the University of Texas at San Antonio, where he specializes in sociolinguistics and second language acquisition. He is co-author of Sociolinguistic Variation in American Sign Language (Gallaudet UP, 2001) and Language as Cultural Practice (Erlbaum, 2002). Sandra R. Schecter is Associate Professor of Education and Women's Studies at York University in Toronto, where she teaches courses in language pedagogy, communication and research methods. An ethnolinguist, she is co-author of Language as Cultural Practice (Erlbaum, 2002) and co-editor of On Becoming a Language Educator (Erlbaum, 1997).
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication27/02/2003
- Series TitleBilingual Education and Bilingualism
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo 39
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight577 g
- Width174 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byRobert J. Bayley,Sandra R. Schecter
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.