Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage plays an essential role both in creating law and in governing its implementation. Providing an accessible and comprehensive introduction to this subject, Language and Law: * describes the different registers and genres that make up spoken and written legal language and how they develop over time; * analyses real-life examples drawn from court cases from different parts of the world, illustrating the varieties of English used in the courtroom by speakers occupying different roles; * addresses the challenges presented to our tions of law and regulation by online communication; * discusses the complex role of translation in bilingual and multilingual jurisdictions, including Hong Kong and Canada; and * provides readings from key scholars in the discipline, including Lawrence Solan, Peter Goodrich, Marianne Constable, David Mellinkoff, and Chris Heffer. With a wide range of activities throughout, this accessible textbook is essential reading for anyone studying language and law or forensic linguistics.
- Author BiographyAlan Durant is Professor of Communication in the School of Law at Middlesex University, London. Janny HC Leung is an Associate Professor in the School of English at University of Hong Kong.
- Author(s)Alan Durant,Janny Leung
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/03/2016
- Series TitleRoutledge English Language Introductions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables
- Weight589 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.