All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection gathers together a stellar group of contributors offering invative perspectives on the issues of language and translation in postcolonial studies. In a world where bi- and multilingualism have become quite rmal, this volume identifies a gap in the critical apparatus in postcolonial studies in order to read cultural texts emerging out of multilingual contexts. The role of translation and an awareness of the multilingual spaces in which many postcolonial texts are written are fundamental issues with which postcolonial studies needs to engage in a far more concerted fashion. The essays in this book by contributors from Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Cyprus, Malaysia, Quebec, Ireland, France, Scotland, the US, and Italy outline a pragmatics of language and translation of value to scholars with an interest in the changing forms of literature and culture in our times. Essay topics include: multilingual textual politics; the benefits of multilingual education in postcolonial countries; the language of gender and sexuality in postcolonial literatures; translational cities; postcolonial calligraphy; globalization and the new digital ecology.
- Author BiographySimona Bertacco is an Assistant Professor of Humanities at the University of Louisville, USA, and was previously a 'ricercatrice' at the University of Milan, Italy. Her research focuses on issues in postcolonialism, women's and gender studies and translation studies. Her publications include: 'Skepticism and the Idea of an Other: Reflections on Cavell and Postcolonialism', in Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies (2011); Death and Its Rites in Contemporary Art & Culture (Altre Modernita #4 2010) co-edited with N. Vallorani; 'Postcolonialism', in The Oxford Companion of Philosophy and Literature (2009).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/02/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleRoutledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited bySimona Bertacco
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.98Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.