All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive introduction to Language and the Law looks at the common areas of interaction between linguistics and the legal process. Each chapter presents a language issue or problem relevant to the law. This is then examined using excerpts from cases where judges in their decisions have had to confront that particular issue. Professor Schane considers each issue both from the legal point of view and from a linguistic point of view, to show how each are relevant to each other. Issues covered include: * Ambiguity * Vagueness * Metaphor * Legal fiction * Presuppositions * Leading questions * Legal hearsay The book requires previous legal or linguistic background, and all concepts and tions from the two fields are explained in a n-technical manner. This fascinating introduction to Language and the Law will be of interest to students and academics encountering this area for the first time. Student friendly features include: exercises, suggestions for further reading, glossary and excerpts from relevant cases.
- Author BiographySanford Schane is Research Professor of Linguistics at the University of California, San Diego, USA. Roger W. Shuy is Distinguished Research Professor of Linguistics, Emeritus, Georgetown University, USA.
- Author(s)Sanford A. Schane
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication09/10/2006
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight343 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Foreword byRoger W. Shuy
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.