All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage as Chiffre is an investigation of Wittgenstein's theory of symbols, emphasizing the delimitation of conventional signs into a language of gestures, pictures and any other expressions, just recognizable as significant. The theory is explained and shown as practised in Wittgenstein's typescripts and manuscripts, which communicate t just philosophy, but technical details about German military projects, and even alludes to escapes from Germany, all hidden in a masquerade of 'rdisms' and 'germanisms'. The historical background of Wittgenstein's anti-fascistic spy-actions is discussed as an example for his concept of language, as acting with and through signs limited by rational induction. The systematic approach of the book develops this idea through different grades of formalization in language. Logical forms, adequacy of formal representations and the modal concept of bipolarity are discussed as motive for the high value of the symbolism, that can function as extension, axiomatic structure or as transparent syntax of signs. As based on unconscious essentials of thought, indicated by transgressions of rationality, transparency of a symbolism does only mean that everything t reducable to physical reactions can be apprehended as a sign. Alternatives of formal systems show, that formal languages or calculi are in this sense t merely syntactical structures, but language. Examples are given.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Ulrike Ritter born 1966 in Berlin, Freie Universitaet Berlin, Magister Artium of Dramatic Arts, Art History and History of Books and Journals, Exhibition-Projects, Journalist and Tutor, since 1994 at the University of Munich (LMU), studying Philosophy & Theory of Science for a doctoral thesis about Semiotics, 1998 Dissertation Bilder, Zeichen und Gebaerden. Wittgensteins Ansatz zu einer semiotischen Theorie. Since 1998 Bavarian Academy of Science, E-Commerce and Internet-Art, University and Private Afternoon Schools.
- Author(s)Ulrike Ritter
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2001
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies/Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 20: Philosophie/Series 20: Philosophy/Serie 20: Philosophie
- Series Part/Volume Number629
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note4 fig.
- Weight280 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.