All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a comprehensive volume which engages with language policies and positions to highlight the issues surrounding language commodification and globalization. Throughout human history, languages have been in competition with each other. As the world becomes more globalized, this trend increases. It affects the decision-making of those in positions of power and determines macro language policies and planning. Often decisions about language (or dialects or language variety) are related to usefulness - defined in terms of their pragmatic and commercial currency or their value as symbols of socio-cultural identity. Languages can be modes of entry into coveted social hierarchies or strongholds of religious, historical, techlogical and political power bases. Languages are seen w as commodities that carry different values in an era of globalization.This volume engages with language policies and positions in relation to the roles and functions these languages adopt. It examines the 'value' of languages, defined in terms of the power they have in the global marketplace as much as within the complex matrices of the local socio-politics. These valuations strongly underpin the various motivations that influence policy-making decisions, and in turn, these motivations create the tensions that characterize many language-related issues; tensions that arise when languages become commodified.
- Author BiographyDr Rani Rubdy is at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Peter Tan is at the Department of English Language and Literature at the National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication14/08/2008
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note10 bw illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPeter Tan,Rani Rubdy
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.