All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book initially undertook to make available to linguists an extensive update of the junction grammar' model of language. However, as the project progressed, it became increasingly apparent that the upgrade model closely resembled what Benjamin Whorf may well have presented as his own formal model linking MIND, LANGUAGE, and REALITY had his life been extended. Coupled with this discovery came the realization that the author had more or less stumbled upon a seminal view of the 'big picture.' To test the consistency and systematicity of this surprising perspective, the model was ultimately coupled with a system of tation complete with its own primes to elucidate the substance and processes of universal structuring which arise from its axiomatic base. As the principles revealed by the research merged into a coherent 'one-liner, ' they echoed loudly the brazen proclamation of ather star in the linguistic galaxy: Linguistics has got to accept its responsibility w, as being the core science. In a sense it has to replace physics as the leading science. (Michael Halliday) This work undertakes to demonstrate why both Whorf and Halliday were correct in declaring linguistic science to be at the very core of epistemology and to formulate the essential features of the tation required to make the resulting LANGUAGE' system explicit.
- Author BiographyDr. Lytle received his MA and PhD degrees from Brigham Young University and the University of Illinois, respectively, specializing in languages and linguistic theory. Work conducted in the area of structural derivation in Russian' (his dissertation topic) led him to develop junction grammar, ' a model of language which challenged the incumbent paradigm (transformational grammar'). Owing to the ability of the model to provide plausible representations for many linguistic structures not formerly understood, it quickly became the vehicle for novel approaches to problems in Natural Language Processing, including machine translation and computerized evaluation of written products. During the 1970's, junction grammar served as the basis for successful experiments in language pedagogy at the LDS Language Training Mission of Provo, Utah, and in the Nebo and Cache Valley school districts of northern Utah. A third application of the model was made abroad by the International Linguistics Foundation of Sau Paulo, Brazil, a commercial enterprise specializing in English instruction for foreigners. In subsequent work during the 1980s, Dr. Lytle utilized junction grammar as a frame of reference for WordMAP, the first computer software writing-aids ensemble designed specifically for linguistic testing and sublanguage analysis. In conjunction with this endeavor, Dr. Lytle designed and coded JGPL (a linguistic pattern matching language) and LEX, a lexical decomposition language. Subsequently, Dr. Lytle joined forces with The Educational Testing Service (ETS) of Princeton, N.J. to successfully simulate the holistic scoring of English papers using his WordMAP software. Dr. Lytle was founder and director of BYU's Translation Sciences Institute during his tenure there (1968-1980) and subsequently co-founder of Automated Language Processing Systems (ALPS) of Provo, Utah. Dr. Lytle is currently the principal owner of Linguistic Technologies, Inc., a Nevada corporation specializing in the refinement of linguistic theory and pioneering novel approaches to Natural Language Processing deriving from theoretical innovation. Dr. Lytle has served as a consultant for diverse commercial enterprises. He is presently assisting Perfect Search Corporation of Provo, Utah and its endeavor to both accelerate and improve the accuracy of internet search.
- Author(s)Dr Eldon G Lytle
- Date of Publication26/03/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight953 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.