All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the ways in which our ideas about language and identity which used to be framed in national and political terms as a matter of rights and citizenship are increasingly recast in ecomic terms as a matter of added value. It argues that this discursive shift is connected to specific characteristics of the globalized new ecomy in what can be thought of as late capitalism . Through ten ethgraphic case studies, it demonstrates the complex ways in which older nationalist ideologies which invest language with value as a source of pride get bound up with newer neoliberal ideologies which invest language with value as a source of profit. The complex interaction between these modes of mobilizing linguistic resources challenges some of our ideas about globalization, hinting that we are in a period of intensification of modernity, in which the limits of the nation-State are stretched, but t (yet) undone. At the same time, this book argues, this intensification also calls into question modernist ways of looking at language and identity, requiring a more serious engagement with capitalism and how it constitutes symbolic (including linguistic) as well as material markets.
- Author BiographyAlexandre Duchene is Professor of Sociology of language and Director of the Institute of Multilingualism of the University and HEP of Fribourg (Switzerland). His recent publications include Ideologies across Nations (Mouton de Gruyter 2008) and Discourses of Endangerment (with Monica Heller, Continuum 2007). Monica Heller is professor at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education and the Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, as well as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. Her most recent book is Paths to Postnationalism: A Critical Ethnography of Language and Identity (2011, Oxford University Press).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/11/2011
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Studies in Multilingualism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones
- Weight502 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAlexandre Duchene,Monica Heller
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.78New
- AU $76.89New
- AU $36.17New
- AU $29.80New
- AU $77.88New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $19.67Trending at AU $22.88
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.06
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $19.93
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $87.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.04
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $17.86
- AU $27.48Trending at AU $30.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.