All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book assesses current assumptions about how language is acquired, remembered and retained as impulses in the brain, from the perspective of neurolinguistics, which is based on neuroanatomy and neurophysiology. Fred C. C. Peng argues that language is behaviour, which has evolved in human genetics through time. Like all behaviours, language utilises many body parts which are controlled by the cortical and subcortical structures of the brain. Language in the brain is memory-governed, meaning-centred, and multifaceted. This view is a challenge to conventional neuroscience, which sees language and speech as separate entities; such a convention is t consistent with how the brain functions.Dr Peng's study of language in the brain has wide-reaching implications for the study of language disorders, neurolinguistics, and psycholinguistics in dealing with dementia, aphasia, and schizophrenia. This cutting-edge research mograph presents challenging new insights in the field of neuroscience to a linguistic audience and will also benefit neuroscientists. It will be essential reading for academics researching any aspect of language and the brain.
- Author BiographyFred C.C. Peng is a behavioural neuroscientist in the Department of Neurosurgery and the Neurological Institute at the Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan. As an anthropologist specializing in linguistics, he did post-doctoral work in the basic sciences and medical sciences.
- Author(s)Fred C.C. Peng
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight486 g
- Width234 mm
- Height156 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.