All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Late Modern period is the first in the history of English for which an unprecedented wealth of textual material exists. Using increasingly sophisticated databases, the contributions in this volume explore grammatical usage from the period, specifically morphological and syntactic change, in a broad context. Some chapters explore the socio-historical background of the period while others provide information on prescriptivism, newspaper language, language contact, and regional variation in British and American English. Internal processes of change are discussed against grammaticalisation theory and construction grammar and the rich body of textual evidence is used to draw inferences on the precise nature of historical change. Exposing readers to a wealth of data that informs the description of a broad range of syntactic phemena, this book is ideal for graduate students and researchers interested in historical linguistics, corpus linguistics and language development.
- Author BiographyMarianne Hundt is Full Professor of English Linguistics in the English Department at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/08/2014
- Series TitleStudies in English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note47 b/w illus. 80 tables
- Weight710 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byMarianne Hundt
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.