All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a succinct and comprehensive history of Latin American cinema from its origins in 1896 to the award-winning cinema of the present day. It analyses landmark films - including El Mega (1955), Black God, White Devil (1964), The Official Version (1984), Central Station (1998), Amores Perros (2000), City of God (2002) and Babel (2006) and Gravity (2013) - while tracing the broad contours of and connections between major historical developments. Stephen Hart guides us through the story of how Hollywood dominance succumbed to the emergence of the nuevo cine Latiamerica and how this in turn led to the twenty-first century's 'New' New Latin American Cinema. He provides a fresh analysis of Latin American cinema as seen through the prism of the major changes in film techlogy, looking closely at the films themselves and examining how their messages - through techniques and tricks of the trade - are expressed.We see how paradigm shifts such as the move to digital media at the close of the twentieth century led to new cinematographic techniques and visions, as well as how the decision by a group of Latin American directors to film in English led to the creation of a new globalized filmic idiom, enhancing the global visibility of Latin American cinema. Providing original views on major films and featuring mini-biographies of the central film directors, this is a clear and concise guide to the history of Latin American cinema.
- Author BiographyStephen M. Hart is Professor of Latin American Film, Literature and Culture at University College London. He has published a number of books including A Companion to Latin American Film (2004) and Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Reaktion, 2010).
- Author(s)Stephen Hart
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note20 colour, 100 black & white
- Weight454 g
- Width150 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.