All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn September 1947, after reading C.S. Lewis s The Screwtape Letters in Italian, Fr. (w St.) Giovanni Calabria was moved to write the author, but he knew English and assumed (rightly) that Lewis knew Italian. So he wrote his letter in Latin, hoping that, as a classicist, Lewis would kw Latin. Therein began a correspondence that was to outlive Fr. Calabria himself (he died in December 1954, and was succeeded in correspondence by Fr. Luigi Pedrollo, which continued until Lewis s own death in 1963). Translator/editor Martin Moynihan calls these letters limpid, fluent and deeply refreshing. There was a charm about them, too, and t least in the way they were topped and tailed that is, in their ever-slightly-varied formalities of address and of farewell. More than any other of his published works The Latin Letters shows the strong devotional side of Lewis, and contains letters ranging from Christian unity and modern European history to liturgical worship and general ethical behavior. This new edition is greatly enhanced by a new foreword from the eminent Lewis Scholar, Mark A. Noll, from the University of Notre Dame.
- Author BiographyFr. Giovanni Calabria was canonized a saint in the Catholic Church in 1999; he started a series of homes throughout Italy for abandoned adolescents, and was the founder of the Congregation of the Poor Servants of Divine Providence.
- Author(s)C S Lewis,Don Giovanni Calabria
- PublisherSt. Augustine's Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt. Augustine's Press
- Weight181 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byMartin Moynihan
- Foreword byProfessor Mark A Noll
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.