All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith Latining America, Claudia Milian proposes that the ecomies of blackness, brownness, and dark brownness summon a new grammar for Lati/a studies that she names Latinities. Milian's invative study argues that this ensnared ecomy of meaning startles the typical reading practices deployed for brown Lati/a embodiment. Latining America keeps company with and challenges existent models of Latinidad, demanding a distinct paradigm that puts into question what is understood as Lati and Latina today. Milian conceptually considers how underexplored Latin participants--the southern, the black, the dark brown, the Central American-have ushered in a new world of Latined signification from the 1920s to the present. Examining t who but what constitutes the Lati and Latina, Milian's new critical Latinities disentangle the brown logic that marks Lati/a subjects. She expands on and deepens insights in transamerican discourses, narratives of passing, popular culture, and contemporary art. This daring and original project uncovers previously igred and unremarked upon cultural connections and global crossings whereby African Americans and Latis traverse and reconfigure their racialised classifications.
- Author BiographyClaudia Milian is an assistant professor of romance studies at Duke University, USA.
- Author(s)Claudia Milian
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe New Southern Studies
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note5 b&w photos
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.