All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOutstanding essayists in Latin American literature and film explore Laura Esquivels critical reputation, contextualise her work in literary movements, and consider her four vels and the film based on Like Water for Chocolate from diverse critical perspectives. The Editor's An Introduction to Esquivel Criticism reviews twenty-years of global praise and condemnation. Elena Poniatowska, in an essay provided in the original Spanish and in translation, reflects on her first reading of Like Water for Chocolate. From unique critical perspectives, Jeffrey Oxford, Patrick Duffey, and Debra Andrist probe the vel as film and fiction. The Reverend Dr Stephen Butler Murray explores the author's spiritual focus, and cultural geographer Maria Elena Christie uses words and images to compare Mexican kitchen-space and Esquivel's first vel. Elizabeth Coonrod Martinez and Lydia H Rodriguez affirm divergent readings of The Law of Love, and Elizabeth M Willingham reads contested national identity in Swift as Desire. Jeanne L Gillespie and Ryan F Long approach Malinche: A Novel through historical documents and popular and religious culture. In the closing essay of the volume, Alberto Julian Perez contextualises Esquivel's fiction within Feminist and Hispanic literary movements. A glossary and translations recommend the work to English-speaking readers and those new to studies of Hispanic fiction and film. This book is the first in-depth review and assessment of twenty years of Esquivel criticism. The comparative and theoretical views presented of each of Esquivel's four vels and the film of Like Water for Chocolate provide suggestions for future literary research.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Moore Willingham is a medievalist, text scholar, and Romance linguist. She is series editor for the Old French Lancelot of Yale 229 for Brepols and has published critical work in Latin American fiction and film, including Laura Esquivels Mexican Fictions (Sussex 2010). She is Associate Professor in the Department of Modern Foreign Languages at Baylor University where she teaches Old Spanish, Romance Linguistics, and Hispanic literature and film.
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication18/05/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Weight458 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Moore Willingham
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.