Laura and Lynn's Story: Living in the Shadow of Their Smiles by Jane McKenna (Paperback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.73Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.84+ AU $6.00 postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLaura and Lynn's Story recounts the heartbreaking tale of the McKenna family, who lost both daughters to illness 20 months apart. Laura, aged four, died very quickly and peacefully after the final surgery to repair a hole in her heart, having previously spent seven months of the first year of life in Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin and gone through three previous surgeries. On the day of Laura's surgery, Lynn, aged 13 at the time and never sick in her life, was diagsed with leukemia. Laura died the following day, never having woken up, and Lynn was already a patient in Oncology at Our Lady's Hospital. After eight months of chemo and other aggressive treatments, she was in remission for about five months before she re-relapsed. While waiting for a bone marrow transplant her condition worsened, and there was thing else that could be done. In her last week Lynn wrote letters to all who had been so wonderful to her, including her doctors; saw friends; said her goodbyes ; arranged her funeral and wrote her will. When she was too weak to write, Jane did it for her, but she dictated.How she coped with her illness, her adored sister's sad death and her own imminent demise is an inspiration to us - she wished it could be different, but accepted it with such dignity, aged just 15. She lived every minute of her last weeks to the full, which is how we should all live our lives. Kwing that she had to do something to deal with her grief, Jane set up LauraLynn House, Ireland's first children's hospice. Opened by President Mary McAleese in September 2011, LauraLynn House has provided hundreds of sick children and their families with the care, comfort and respite that a children's hospice brings, especially the wonderful care at the all too sad end-of-life. Laura and Lynn's Story is a tribute to two brave little girls whose lives were cut short, but it is also a testament to the remarkable resilience and determination of their mother, Jane, who was unwavering in her desire for something positive to come out of the tragedy. With numerous contributions from families who have benefitted from the care and compassion they received from the children's hospice, this book is ultimately one about hope and courage.
- Author BiographyAbout the Author Jane McKenna is the founder of LauraLynn House, Ireland's only children's hospice. All royalties from the sale of this book will be donated to LauraLynn House.
- Author(s)Jane McKenna
- PublisherThe Liffey Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Liffey Press
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.