All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMary Jacob grew up as an amaly. A child of Louisiana in the early sixties, she found little in common with most of the people in her community and in her household, and her best friend was Lavina, the black woman who cooked and cleaned for her family. Now, in the early nineties, Mary Jacob has escaped her history and established a fresh, if imperfect, life for herself in New York. But when she learns of her father's critical illness, she needs to go back home. To a disapproving father and a spiteful sister. To a town decades out of alignment with Mary Jacob's new world. To the memories of Billy Ray, Lavina's son who grew up to be a musical legend whose star burned much too bright. And to the echoes of a fateful day three decades earlier when three lives changed forever. A generation-spanning story both intimate and ermous in scope, LAVINA is a vel rich in humanity, sharp in its indictments, and stunning in its resolution.
- Author BiographyMary Marcus grew up in Louisiana, raised by her mother s housekeeper, during the turbulent end of the Jim Crow South. She is the author of the novel The New Me. Her short fiction has appeared in numerous literary magazines, including The North Atlantic Review, Fiction, and Karamu, among others. She lives in Los Angeles and the East End of Long Island.
- Author(s)Mary Marcus
- PublisherStory Plant
- Date of Publication17/05/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStory Plant
- Weight499 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.06
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.