All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHere is the ideal handbook for current and aspiring elementary and secondary educators and leaders, teacher-leaders, and school leaders. In it, the authors have provided a wealth of ready-to-use information and suggestions on the roles of principals as leaders of leaders; the roles of teacher-leaders as they lead; the culture in which teacher-leaders emerge, develop, and are supported; and the function of building principals as catalysts for and champions of this supportive, constructive environment. Who are teacher-leaders, how does one become a teacher-leader, and what works to overcome the barriers along the way? How do educators share leadership and build collective efficacy? How does one make that teacher-leader paradigm shift? What do teacher-leaders need to learn about standards, development programs, and sustainability, and how do they go about learning it? These questions and many more are answered in this practical book that shows clearly how to break down the old us versus the mentality and build and sustain a school culture of distributive leadership, trust, and collective mindfulness.
- Author BiographyHal Portner is a former public school teacher and administrator and was a member of the Connecticut State Department of Education where, among other responsibilities, he served as Coordinator of the Connecticut Institute for Teaching and Learning and worked closely with school districts to develop and carry out professional development and teacher evaluation plans and programs. He also served as professional development consultant for the faculty of Holyoke (MA) Community College and a Master Mentoring Evaluator for the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's Project SUCCESS. Hal develops and facilitates online college courses, develops training materials, trains mentors and coaches, facilitates the development of new-teacher induction programs, and presents to and consults with school districts and other educational organizations and institutions. He is the author of 10 published books and over 80 articles, and is a member the Editorial Board of an international peer-review journal. http://www.portner.us/Hal. Bill Collins has his doctorate in Educational Leadership from Boston College. He serves as Coordinator of the Educational Leadership Program at St. Lawrence University. Bill was a school principal for a decade, most recently at the William E. Norris School located in Southampton, Massachusetts, where teacher-leadership is an integral part of the school's culture. Bill is founder of the Pioneer Valley Literacy Conference and presents on school culture topics including: Principal Evaluation, New Teacher Induction & Mentoring, and Teacher-Leadership. Bill has been a middle school guidance counselor, assistant principal and private school principal. This is his first book. In Bill's spare time he sails small boats throughout the Northeast. Bill resides in Upstate New York with his wife Diane and their two daughters, Mary Catherine and Julianna.
- Author(s)Hal Portner,William E. Collins
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication30/08/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Weight286 g
- Width187 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.