All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on interviews with pioneers in the field, the author draws upon their personal experiences - and his own-to examine the challenges and dilemmas facing mirity members who choose the route of educational leadership. A list of helpful suggestions concerning activism, leadership style, institutional politics, mentorship, and roles are included to help those who contemplate this career path.
- Author BiographyLeonard A. Valverde, began his education career, as a junior high school mathematics teacher, around the same time as the civil rights movement was starting. He was a teacher in East Los Angeles during the time of the Watts Riots and student walk-outs occurred. Shaped by these societal events and his upbringing as a second generation Mexican-American , his goal - to work to bring about equal educational opportunity - was formed. Due to his actions to work toward his goal, he was recruited by Claremont Graduate University and awarded a Ford Foundation Fellowship to study to be a change agent. Throughout his 35 years as an educator, he has remained true to be an agent for change and true to his goal and expanded it, i.e., to bring about social justice for persons of color. Specifically, through the roles he has assumed (Bilingual program director, math teacher supervisor, university professor, director of a research office, department chair, college dean, vice president for academic affairs and dean of graduate studies, and an now as executive director of a higher education consortium covering five southwest states) his efforts have been to make the educational enterprise more democratic and fair.
- Author(s)Leonard A. Valverde
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/10/2003
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byLeonard A. Valverde
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.