All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book develops a new paradigm in the field of leadership studies, referred to as the leadership-as-practice (L-A-P) movement. Its essence is its conception of leadership as occurring as a practice rather than residing in the traits or behaviours of particular individuals. A practice is a coordinative effort among participants who choose through their own rules to achieve a distinctive outcome. It also tends to encompass routines as well as problem-solving or coping skills, often tacit, that are shared by a community. Accordingly, leadership-as-practice is less about what one person thinks or does and more about what people may accomplish together. It is thus concerned with how leadership emerges and unfolds through day-to-day experience. The social and material contingencies impacting the leadership constellation - the people who are effecting leadership at any given time - do t reside outside of leadership but are very much embedded within it. To find leadership, then, we must look to the practice within which it is occurring. The leadership-as-practice approach resonates with a number of closely related traditions, such as collective, shared, distributed, and relational leadership, that converge on leadership processes. These approaches share a line of inquiry that ackwledges leadership as a social phemen. The new focus opens up a plethora of research opportunities encouraging the study of social processes beyond influence, such as intersubjective agency, shared sense-making, dialogue, and co-construction of responsibilities.
- Author BiographyJoseph A. Raelin is Professor of Management and Organization Development at Northeastern University, USA.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/02/2016
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Leadership Research
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, 6 black & white tables, 14 black & white line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byJoseph A. Raelin
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.