All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEvery day there is a journey: to bring in the morning paper, to pull out a few weeds, to put out the garbage, to water newly planted seedlings, to feed scraps to the birds.These journeys appear routine, unremarkable, but each brings some event or aspect of the world into sharp focus - apparently insignificant, on the surface, trivial, perhaps, but bearing its own import and carrying subtle echoes of own existence. Outside, things appear then disappear. Bud, burgeon, fall, rot. Something then thing. Every day there is evidence of this. A petal has fallen. Here is a feather. There the remains of a bird, on its back, claws grasping the chill air. A gnat struggles in a spider-web. In the fierce wind branches fracture, lie akimbo. Twigs scatter. The ground is littered with leaves.It would be easy to view the species that inhabit the small realm of the garden - both flora and fauna - as preoccupied with beginnings and endings; to igre the unrelenting continuum, the diurnal and cturnal, the seasonal, the annual cycles. These poems, observe, with gratitude, the grace with which the natural world accepts each small event - events which, were they to occur to us, we, in our conceit, might term catastrophic. Each small collection of words - each poem - is a te, a memorandum of a fragment found or a moment experienced. Evidence that the thing has been. Has happened.
- Author BiographyMargaret West, born in Melbourne in 1936, is an artist and writer. She taught at Sydney University College of the Arts, exhibited and lectured extensively in Australia and overseas. Her 32 solo and 70 major group shows include exhibitions at the Victoria and Albert Museum; representing Australia with a major collection at Designmuseo, Helsinki; an invited artist in Clemenger Contemporary Art Award NGV. Her work is comprehensively represented at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Smithsonian Institution, Cooper-Hewitt Museum, NY: National Gallery, Canberra; NGV; SA Art Gallery; WA Art Gallery; Queensland Art Gallery.
- Author(s)Margaret West
- PublisherBrandl & Schlesinger Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBlackheath, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintBrandl & Schlesinger Pty Ltd
- Weight300 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.