Learning from Sure Start: Working with Young Children and Their Families by Peter Hannon, Caroline Pickstone, Jo Weinberger (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $74.03Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $9.48+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'...an easy-to-read evaluation of a trailblazer local programme...packed with helpful information such as pointers for the future, pie charts and parents' stories (t translated into dry 'research' speak)...It renewed my passion and reminded me why I got involved in Sure Start in the first place' - Nursery World . 'This book demonstrates the key strength of Sure Start, its breadth of vision! It shows how with the right effort, statutory and voluntary organisations can work side by side. It also shows how important it is to engage local people in finding solutions, blending professional and community support to strengthen both! Learning from Sure Start is a significant contribution to the evidence base on what works for young children and families' - Naomi Eisenstadt, Director, Sure Start Unit.Sure Start, an exciting initiative in early childhood care and education with families in the UK, has been developing new forms of community-focused early interventions, with the aim of having all children 'ready to flourish' when they start school. This book, the first of its kind, is the result of a close collaboration between one local programme and a university over a five year period. The contributors all have first hand experience as practitioners or researchers in the Sure Start programme at Foxhill and Parson Cross in Sheffield, which has provided a wide range of new services.Contributors: describe various services within health, education and social welfare; examine implications of the development of inter-agency theory and practice for planning and delivery of services for children; evaluate methods that were employed Identify what worked and what didn't; and, indicate lessons that can be drawn from experience. This is indispensable reading for students of early childhood and early years practitioners, policy makers, and researchers.
- Author BiographyEdited by Jo Weinberger, Caroline Pickstone and Peter Hannon Jo Weinberger is a Senior Research Fellow at Sheffield University and has worked on research and evaluation in the Foxhill & Parson Cross Sure Start initiative for over two years. She has previously worked as a lecturer, researcher, nursery teacher and community worker focusing on home school reading development. Her book on early literacy in a home and community context, Literacy Goes to School, was published in 1996. Caroline Pickstone is a Research Fellow and Honorary Clinical Lecturer in the University of Sheffield and has worked with Foxhill & Parson Cross Sure Start on a research study since 2000. She is an experienced Speech & Language Therapist and manager and has been involved with the development of new working models for children services. She has published research articles in Child Care Health and Development and Child Language Teaching and Therapy as well as within professional journals. Peter Hannon is Professor of Education, University of Sheffield. His work is principally in early childhood education and literacy. He is responsible, with the programme manager, for the coordination of research and evaluation into the Foxhill and Parson Cross Sure Start programme. He is the author of numerous research publications on young children and their families including two books: Literacy, Home and School (1995) and Reflecting on Literacy in Education (2000). Contributors * Sue Battersby * Robin Carlisle * Deborah Crofts * Margaret Drake * Fiona Ford * Jan Forde * Linda Fox * Imogen Hale * Peter Hannon * Helen Lomas * Jackie Marsh * Anne Morgan * Simon Martinez * Caroline Pickstone * Ann Rowe * Jo Weinberger
- Author(s)Caroline Pickstone,Jo Weinberger,Peter Hannon
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1 g
- Width60 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.