All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs video games have become an important ecomic and cultural force, scholars are increasingly trying to better understand the ways that engagement with games may drive learning, literacy, and social participation in the twenty-first century. In this book, the authors consider games and just as importantly, the social interactions around games, t in terms of how they should be managed or incorporated into existing educational structures, but for what they tell us about the forms of learning and literacy that are already instantiated within the use of these media. To this end, this book delves deeply into James Paul Gee's (2004) productive and influential concept of the affinity space - the physical or virtual locations (or some combination of the two) where people come together around a shared interest or affinity. By explicating how and why engaged fans of digital media do what they do in online spaces, the authors cast a light, as Gee did, on the promise of these media and the problems facing current educational systems.
- Author BiographyElisabeth R. Hayes is Professor of English at Arizona State University. Her research interests focus on how the social and cultural aspects of online gaming communities support learning, particularly the development of fluency with digital technology. Her recent books include Women and Gaming: The Sims and 21st Century Learning (2010) and Language and Learning in a Digital Age (2011), both co-authored with James Paul Gee. Sean C. Duncan is the Armstrong Professor of Interactive Media, an Assistant Professor in Miami University's School of Education, Health, and Society and Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies. His current research is focused on understanding the learning and literacy implications of online cultures around games and game design.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2012
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleNew Literacies and Digital Epistemologies
- Series Part/Volume Number51
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byElisabeth R. Hayes,Sean C. Duncan
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.