All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA popular genre from colonial times to 1900, the conduct book provides the youthful reader with authoritative guidance about right moral, religious, and gender role behavior. With the aim of teaching the young what they need to kw--and believe--about society's expectations for the ideal young man and woman, the genre codified true American manhood and womanhood. Until w, conduct books have been mixed in and cataloged with books on manners, etiquette, education, religion, or success. This guide provides an analytic and historical overview of the conduct book as a genre and its cultural work in America. With an antated bibliography of over 500 books, it is the first work to provide scholars interested in studying the cultural stance, intent, and importance of conduct-of-life texts with easy access to conduct books. The book provides an extensive overview of the conduct book, with separate chapters on the development of conduct books for children, men, and women. The fully antated bibliography, which lists the conduct books by their intended audience, includes 196 conduct books for children, 142 texts for young men, 188 titles for young women, and 57 texts for adults of either sex. In addition, the work includes a short selected bibliography of secondary sources and an index. This guide opens the genre for further study.
- Author BiographySARAH E. NEWTON is professor of English and American Studies at California State University, Chico. She has published articles on early American fiction and American folklore, and is currently working on a collection of 18th- and 19th-century moral stories for American children and a critical anthology of American women nature writers.
- Author(s)Sarah E. Newton
- Date of Publication25/05/1994
- SubjectEntertainment & Etiquette
- Series TitleBibliographies and Indexes in American History
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 28.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight523 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.