All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis sequel to Sophie Haroutunian-Gordon's acclaimed Turning the Soul: Teaching Through Conversation in the High School presents a case study of two people learning to teach. It shows them engaging two groups of fourth grade students in discussion about the meaning of texts - what the author calls 'interpretive discussion'. The two groups differ with respect to race, geographical location, and affluence. As the vice teachers learn to clarify their own questions about meaning, they become better listeners and leaders of the discussions. Eventually, they mix the students from the two classrooms, and the reader watches them converse about a text as the barriers of race and class seem to break down. In addition to the detailed analysis of the case study, Learning to Teach Through Discussion: The Art of Turning the Soul presents philosophical, literary, and psychological foundations of interpretive discussion and describes its three phases: preparation, leading, and reflection. A tightly argued work, the book will help readers learn to engage students of all ages in text interpretation.
- Author BiographySophie Haroutunian-Gordon is director, Master of Science in Education programme, and professor, Education and Social Policy, at Northwestern University. She teaches in Evanston.
- Author(s)Sophie Haroutunian-Gordon
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication14/08/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.