All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1976, at the age of twenty-three, Farideh Goldin left Iran in search of her imagined America. Meanwhile, the political unrest in Iran intensified and in 1979, Farideh's family was forced to flee Iran on the last El-Al flight to Tel Aviv. Farideh's father was a well-respected son of the chief rabbi and dayan of the Jews of Shiraz. During his last visit to the US in 2006, he handed Farideh his memoir that chronicalling his life after exile: the confiscation of his passport when he returned to Iran for his belongings, the years of loneliness as he struggled against a hostile bureaucracy to return to his wife and family in Israel, and the eventual loss of the poultry farm that had supported his family. Leaving Iran knits together Farideh's story of dislocation and loss with her own experience as an Iranian Jew in a newly adopted home.
- Author BiographyBorn in Shiraz, Iran to a family of dayanim, Farideh Goldin now lives in Virginia and is the director of the Institute for Jewish Studies and Interfaith Understanding at Old Dominion University. Goldin is a frequent lecturer and presenter on Iranian culture. Her first memoir, Wedding Song: Memoirs of an Iranian Jewish Woman was published in 2003.
- Author(s)Farideh Goldin
- PublisherAU Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleOur Lives: Diary, Memoir, and Letters Series
- Place of PublicationEDMONTON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAU Press
- Content Note10 b&w photos
- Weight340 g
- Width127 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.