All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Tibetans refer to Moso country as The Country of Daughters because of their unique matrilineal society. In Moso culture, daughters are favoured children. There is word for father, marriage is considered a backward practice and property is passed on from mother to daughter. This book is the haunting memoir of a girl growing up in a remarkable place. In her village, Namu was kwn as the girl whose mother tried to give her away three times because she would t stop crying. The strong-willed Namu clashed with her equally fierce mother, becoming alienated from village life. When Chinese officials came looking for talented singers, she seized her chance and broke the taboo that holds Moso culture together - she left her mother's house. Winning a place at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music as a special mirity student, Namu became the Madonna of Tibet , singing on the soundtrack of The Joy Luck Club . A lyrical combination of anthropology and memoir, this is a story full of surprise, drama and beauty. It is a universal tale of mothers and daughters - the battles that drive them apart and the love that brings them back together.
- Author BiographyNamu divides her time between Beijing, Geneva, and San Francisco. Chrisitne Mathieu is an anthropologist and short story writer.
- Author(s)Christine Mathieu,Yang Erche Namu
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication05/06/2003
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date27/06/2006
- Content NoteIntegrated: 1, b/w
- Weight410 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.