All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy turns hilarious and heartfelt, dark and illuminative, Ben Marcus s Leaving the Sea is a ground breaking collection of stories from one of the single most vital, extraordinary, and unique writers of his generation. In the heartfelt I Can Say Many Nice Things, a washed-up writer toying with infidelity leads a creative writing workshop on board a cruise ship. In the dystopian Rollingwood, a divorced father struggles to take care of his ill infant, as his ex-wife and colleagues try to render him irrelevant. In Watching Mysteries with My Mother, a son meditates on his mother s mortality, hoping to stave off her death for as long as he sits by her side. And in the title story, told in a single breathtaking sentence, we watch as the narrator s marriage and his sanity unravel, drawing him to the brink of suicide. Surreal and tender, terrifying and life-affirming, Leaving the Sea is the work of an utterly unique writer at the height of his powers.
- Author BiographyBen Marcus is the author of three books of fiction: The Age of Wire and String, Notable American Women, and The Flame Alphabet, and he is the editor of The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories. His stories have appeared in Harper s, The New Yorker, Granta, Electric Literature, The Paris Review, McSweeney s, Tin House, and Conjunctions. He has received the Berlin Prize, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Whiting Writers Award, a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in fiction, three Pushcart Prizes, and the Morton Dauwen Zabel Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He lives in New York with his wife and children.
- Author(s)Ben Marcus
- PublisherVintage Books
- Date of Publication07/10/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleVintage Contemporaries
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight227 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.72Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.10Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.