All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.26Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $24.55Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a record of the people who visited Leban from between 1800 BC to the last summer; and of the Lebanese themselves, writing about their homeland, their religions, their joys, their wars and their sorrows. The passages have been selected and presented by Ted Gorton and Andree Feghali Gorton. Ted first came to Leban in 1967, to study Arabic at the American University of Beirut, AUB; there he met his archaeologist wife Andree. They describe their book as a labour of love: in it, the visitor to Leban will discover a country that is infinitely richer, more diverse and perennial than the headlines of the last few decades might suggest. A Lebanese reader will delight in the familiar, as well as discovering new treasures of description, analysis, and literature.
- Author BiographyTed Gorton came early to Oriental studies, spending formative years in Turkey where his father was the US military attche, and studying at the American University or Beirut in the 1960's. He later took a doctorate in Arabic Studies from Oxford and lectured at St.Andrews University, from where he was lured wawy to Arabia, spending 25 years in the oil business before returning to his first love, Arabic poetry. Series.
- PublisherEland Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleThrough Writers' Eyes
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEland Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAndree Feghali Gorton,T. J. Gorton
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.