Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides an unprecedented portrayal of a lively shari'a court in contemporary West Jerusalem, which belongs to the Israeli legal system but serves Palestinian residents of the eastern part of the city. It draws a rich picture of an intriguing institution, operating in an environment marked by legal pluralism and by exceptional political and cultural tensions. The book suggests an organizational-institutional approach to legal pluralism, which examines t only the relations between bodies of law but also the relations between courts of law serving the same population. Based on participant observations in the studied court as well as on textual and legal analyses of court cases and rulings, the study combines history and ethgraphy, diachronic and synchronic perspectives, and examines broad, macro-political processes as well as micro-level interactions. The book offers fresh perspectives on the phemen of legal pluralism, on shari'a law in practice and on Palestinian-Israeli relations in the divided city of Jerusalem. The work is a valuable resource for academics and researchers working in the areas of Legal Pluralism, Islamic Law, and socio-legal history of the Middle East.
- Author BiographyIdo Shahar is Assistant Professor at the Department of Middle Eastern History, University of Haifa. He is a legal anthropologist and a social historian, specializing in the study of shari'a courts and of Palestinian society. He has published extensively on legal pluralism, on shari'a courts in Israel, and on Palestinians in Israel.
- Author(s)Dr. Ido Shahar
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleCultural Diversity and Law
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 5 b&w illustrations
- Weight588 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Prakash Shah
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.