All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe integration of national ecomies through the ongoing process that has come to be kwn as globalization has stirred much controversy, including outright resistance by activists who are concerned about globalization's negative impact on a variety of human values, such as protection of the environment and decent working conditions for labor. The political activism and social movements that have given rise to protests-like the violent demonstrations in Seattle at the WTO meeting in 1999-have been the subject of study by scholars, but less well kwn is the role that some institutional mechanisms associated with international trade agreements have played in providing political opportunity structures for activists to use in promoting their causes and gaining more support for them. In this book, Jonathan Graubart draws our attention to the citizen-petition mechanisms that form part of the neoliberal package of reforms kwn as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) implemented by Canada, Mexico, and the United States. He provides a comparative case study of the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC) and North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) and shows how they have functioned as avenues for activists to publicize their domestic grievances and bring more pressure on their governments to institute needed change.
- Author BiographyJonathan Graubart is Associate Professor of Political Science at San Diego State University.
- Author(s)Jonathan Graubart
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication02/08/2008
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationUniversity Park
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight282 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.